26th Street N.E. Between Benning Road & Spingarn High School
To Be Closed For Two Months Beginning Tuesday, Sept 3rd
The DC Streetcar construction team will close 26th Street N.E. from Benning Road north to the construction entrance south of the now-closed Spingarn High School on Tuesday, September 3rd, for approximately two months. This is to allow the contractor to install two streetcar track switches in the westbound lanes of Benning Road on either side of 26th Street.
In advance of the closure, variable message boards will be placed near 26th Street and Benning Road to notify the public. Due to the closure, motorists will be unable to turn north on 26th Street from Benning Road to reach Langston Golf Course, the Phelps Architecture, Construction & Engineering High School, or the Browne Education Campus. Southbound 26th Street traffic between the construction entrance and Benning Road will be entirely blocked.
Westbound Benning Road traffic will be reduced to one lane from the Metrorail Overpass to 21st Street. Eastbound Benning Road traffic will be one lane from 21st Street to 26th Street, at which point two-lane traffic will be restored.
The construction team has worked closely with the principals of Phelps High and Browne Education Campus, DC Public Schools transportation officials, Metrobus officials, and the Langston Golf Course manager to develop the following detour plans:
To reach Phelps High and Browne Education Campus: Benning Road motorists may turn north on 17th Street, east on Maryland Avenue, south on 22nd Street which becomes I Street. Follow I Street for one block, then turn south on 26th Street. Follow 26th to the Browne Education Campus. From 26th, turn west on H Street, and follow H Street to the Phelps ACE High School entrance.
MOTORISTS: PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR STUDENTS CROSSING I STREET FROM 7:45-8:30 AM & 3:15-3:35 PM.
School-related Metrobus changes: Phelps and Browne schools are served by four daily Metrobus trips — one in the morning, and three in the afternoon.
- The morning S41 (Rhode Island Avenue Station-Phelps HS) will drop off students on Benning Road, eastbound, at Oklahoma Avenue near the gas station. It will skip the stops on Maryland Avenue.
- The afternoon S41 (Phelps HS- Rhode Island Avenue Station) will pick up students on Benning Road, westbound, at 26th Street near the golf course.
- The afternoon X2 school trip (Phelps HS-Lafayette Square) will pick up students on Benning Road, westbound, at 26th Street near the golf course.
- The afternoon X2 school trip (Phelps HS-Minnesota Avenue Station) will pick up students on Benning Road, eastbound, at Oklahoma Avenue near the gas station.
To reach the Langston Golf Course – Benning Road motorists have two options:
- Turn north from Benning Road into the golf course driving-range entrance which is just east of the Metrorail Overpass. Golf course management will provide shuttle-bus service from the driving-range parking lot to the Clubhouse at 26th Street.
- Turn north from Benning Road onto 17th Street, turn east onto Maryland Avenue, then south on 22nd Street which becomes I Street. Follow I Street for one block, then turn south on 26th Street, and proceed to the golf course entrance.
- Pedestrians may cross Benning Road at Oklahoma Avenue, but may not cross Benning at 26th Street. Pedestrians may walk north from Benning along 26th Street to reach Phelps High School, the Browne Education Campus, and the Langston Golf Course.
Thank you for your patience.
We encourage you to contact us at any time to share concerns or request more information. Please direct inquiries to: Margaret Gentry, 202.320.8534 or email@example.com. For DC Streetcar details, please go to dcstreetcar.com. This notice is posted online at dcstreetcar.com/construction/hbenning-construction/detailed-construction-updates