Martin Luther King, Jr.
MEMORIAL DEDICATION DC RESIDENTS DAY AT MLK, JR. NATIONAL MEMORIAL FACT SHEET
Join Mayor Vincent C. Gray, Tuesday, August 23, 2011 to be among the first people to be apart of national and DC history. Preview the newest memorial on the National Mall, the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial.
Here’s what you need to know:
Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 DC RESIDENTS’ DAY TIME: 8:00am to 10pm – (Please be in line before 9pm to ensure seeing the Memorial before is closes at 10pm.)
Lines: Line begins at 23rd Street and Independence Avenue, SW BRING YOUR OWN WATER! NO FOOD OR OTHER TYPES OF BEVERAGES ARE ALLOWED. · Tickets are not required on DC RESIDENTS’ DAY.
· No parking in the area or stopping or drop- offs on Independence Avenue. · Drop-off point for all vehicles, including taxicabs, is the north side of 23rd Street. · Drop-off point for all vehicles, including taxicabs, carrying seniors and people with limited mobility is Daniel French Drive at Independence Avenue.
· Take public transportation.
· No bicycles.
· Wear comfortable, flat shoes and comfortable clothing. · Be prepared to stand in line.
· Respect the Memorial: o Keep the site clean, leave no trash or debris.
Do not pick flowers or stones.
· Seniors and persons with limited mobility may consider visiting the site between 10am and 3pm on DC RESIDENTS’ DAY or visit on the soft opening Monday, August 22nd, when we expect the site to be less congested.